Carpets are a great addition to any home. In addition to coming in a variety of colors, textures, and styles to suit anyone’s taste, carpet feels soft under your feet and adds warmth in colder climates. But regardless of those advantages, if your carpet has stains, it will become an eyesore and detract from your home’s appearance.
If you follow some easy pointers, you can remove carpet stains and restore the beauty of your floor coverings. Read on for some tips about how to remove stains from carpet.
How to remove coffee stains from carpet
We’ve all been there. You’re rushing out the door to get to work, coffee cup in hand. As you grab your keys in the other hand, your mug slips away from you and your hot drink spills all over your floor.
Fortunately, there are easy tricks when it comes to how to remove carpet stains resulting from coffee spills. Most importantly, act quickly. The longer you wait, the more likely the carpet fibers will absorb the liquid, creating a permanent stain.
- If the spill is fresh, blot as much of the liquid as possible with a rag or paper towel.
- Pour cold water on the spot and continue to blot until the water runs clear.
- If water alone doesn’t do the trick, create a solution of ½ teaspoon of liquid dish soap, ½ teaspoon of white vinegar, and two cups of warm water. Continue applying the liquid a little bit at a time, blotting with a dry cloth until the stain is gone.
- Rinse with a wet sponge and gently blot dry.
How to remove red wine stains from carpet
Your fabulous dinner party was a great success. The conversation flowed easily and so did the red wine. The result? A cabernet sauvignon spill on your light-colored carpet. The best way to remove red wine stains from carpet is using a tried and true method – club soda.
- Blot up excess liquid using a clean, dry cloth towel.
- Pour club soda on the stain and blot again.
- Repeat the process until the stain has vanished.
How to remove old stains from carpet
Because life gets busy, you may neglect to treat a carpet spill right after it occurs, resulting in a stubborn stain. Here’s how to remove carpet stains that you have allowed to linger too long.
- Sprinkle baking soda on the stain.
- Mix vinegar, water, and dish soap solution (referenced above).
- Use a clean, dry, cloth rag to apply the solution to the soiled area on top of the baking soda.
- Allow the mixture to sit for several hours, which will create a hardened texture.
- Loosen the hardened paste and vacuum to remove it.
Additional carpet cleaning tips
- Never scrub carpet stains or spots. This will only cause the spot to penetrate the carpet fibers, making it even more difficult to remove.
- Always work from the outside in. Going in the opposite direction can spread the stain, causing a bigger headache.
- Always test your cleaning solution on an inconspicuous area of your carpet to ensure it doesn’t damage or discolor the fibers.
- Vacuum regularly to reduce the chances of dirt getting embedded in the fibers.
- Be sure to set your vacuum cleaner to the appropriate setting for your carpet pile.
- Consider hiring professional cleaners for weekly house cleaning if you are having trouble keeping up with maintenance.
- Try a store-bought carpet stain remover if plain water, club soda, or any combination of water dish soap, vinegar, and baking soda aren’t effective.
- To deep clean a carpet, use a heavy-duty steam cleaner and carpet shampoo.
- For maintenance, clip snags as soon as they appear and ask your family and visitors to remove shoes upon entering the house.
- Be sure to use the correct process and appropriate cleaner for each type of stain.
When all else fails? Call a professional carpet cleaner!
Professional house cleaning services in San Francisco and surrounding areas
At Super Clean 360 we pride ourselves on meeting your needs and exceeding your expectations. We work closely with our clients to create customized plans so they don’t have to pay for services they don’t need.
In addition to routine house cleaning services and one-time deep house cleaning services, we provide:
- Disinfection services
- Airbnb cleaning services
- Move-in/move out cleaning services
“Very professional, efficient, easy to work with, and not expensive! I would use the company again.”
Want to find out how our professional house cleaning services save Berkeley and San Francisco area homeowners time? We’d be happy to schedule a walk-through and create a plan that fulfills your needs. Contact us for a quote!