While we adore our pets, they have an incredible ability to turn a clean home into a dirty home in a very short amount of time. Even their mealtime habits can turn into a huge, daily clean-up project. Beyond that, when not cleaned regularly or immediately, pet hair, dander, and untreated urine spots can fill homes with allergens and lower indoor air quality. It can definitely be a challenge to have pets and maintain a clean home, but we have a few tips on how to keep a house clean with pets.
Some Basic Guidelines
Pets leave traces of themselves wherever they wander throughout the interior of your home. They leave behind hair, drool, dander, and dirt from outside. To create the least amount of constant clean-up, here are a few routines that can help you manage the mark your pet leaves in your home.
- When re-entering your home, wipe off your pet’s paws after being outdoors
- On a weekly basis, clean pet beds or sheets that your pet lies on–wash all linens in hot water to remove allergens
- Bathe your pet regularly
- To keep pet hair manageable in your home, brush your pet’s fur weekly
- Use a lint roller or vacuum cleaner attachment to remove hair from clothes and furniture regularly
- Train your pet to live in certain parts of your home–keep some spaces off-limits
- Keep pets off of chairs, couches, and beds–now you have less areas to clean
- Vacuum tile or hardwood floors at least weekly, if not more frequently
Care for Your Carpet
Pets can be especially tough on indoor carpet. Carpets can actually carry four times their weight in dirt and bacteria; pets can be a large source for that because they are usually laying on carpeted floors and transferring any dirt, bacteria, and odors onto your carpet. So, one of the best strategies on how to keep a house clean with pets is to take care of your carpet.
How to Remove Pet Hair from Carpets
Just like your hardwood or tile floors, it is important to vacuum your carpets weekly. Many experts suggest vacuuming your carpet multiple times a week when you have pets who shed a lot of hair. There are a number of vacuums specifically developed for cleaning up pet hair. The more you vacuum, the less opportunity there is for hair to build up into the fibers in your carpet.
How to Remove Pet Urine Stains from Carpets
One of the most common clean-ups with a pet is when they have an accident inside the home. There are also times when pets get sick; some pets are young and just learning to make sure they make it outside to relieve themselves. In any scenario, it is crucially important to clean up the mess to stop bacteria from spreading. Here are some tips on how to remove pet stains from carpets.
The number one factor in cleaning up pet stains from carpets is to treat the accident immediately. To make sure you don’t have lingering odors or stains on your carpet, you need to stop what you’re doing and clean up any urine, vomit, or feces as soon as possible.
You’ll need to find a carpet cleaner specific to pet stains–this list of pet stain removers lets you choose what is most important to you–eco-friendly, budget, deep cleaning, etc.
- Use a paper towel to dab up urine or vomit; don’t wipe the carpet as this can cause the stain to spread
- After dabbing up the excess, spray the area directly with the carpet cleaner. Most have specific instructions for use, but a good rule of thumb is to give it at least ten minutes to soak into the carpet
- Next, use paper towels with warm water and dab up all of the remaining spot cleaner
- Keep the area clear of people or animals until it is fully dry
How to Remove Pet Odor from Carpets
The most efficient way to remove pet odor from carpets is to hire professional cleaners to deep clean your carpets. Many times, even though a stain is no longer visible, there are still lingering odors. The best way to make sure that all odors are removed is to have your carpets cleaned by professional house cleaning services that have the correct equipment to deep clean your carpets.
Once the carpets are cleaned, make sure that the area becomes unavailable to your pet. Many times pets will return to the same spot to have an accident, so keep them from returning to their preferred area. If your pet is having regular accidents, take them to the vet to rule out any medical causes. You may need to take some time to understand why your pet is choosing the wrong place to eliminate and then work with them to re-train them to go outdoors.
Get Professional Help to Keep Your Home Clean
Pets are a joy, so why not let someone else help you pick up after them, so you can simply play with them? If you need house cleaning services to help clean up after your pet, Super Clean360 is committed to doing whatever we can to help our clients with whatever needs they have. From weekly house cleaning options to a one-time deep house cleaning service, our clients can attest to our devotion to doing our best to keep your home clean, disinfected, and happy. We offer house cleaning services in Oakland, Berkeley, Albany, or the surrounding areas. Use our easy online system to book an appointment for your home today–we’re here to help create a clean home for you and your pets!