Owning a home is a huge responsibility. What’s more? It’s the biggest investment you’ll likely ever make. Protect your investment and the roof over your head with ongoing maintenance to ensure that from roof to basement and everything in between, your home is in prime condition.
Year-round maintenance is essential to keeping your home safe, sound, and liveable. But maintenance can also help you detect minor issues before they become major catastrophes. In fact, the average cost for home repairs for houses that are in disrepair is a reported $2,920. Even worse? One in 20 homes in need of repair needs more than $5,000 in repairs.
Many times, reaching this level of disrepair is avoidable. Here’s a list you can consult throughout the year to keep your home in tip-top shape.
Inspecting certain elements of your home each month can keep everything in proper working order so you can avoid disaster. A monthly home maintenance checklist will make it easier to track and manage all the tasks that need to be completed. Set a reminder on your calendar to take care of the following on the first day of the month:
- Clean your furnace filter to remove dust and keep energy bills low
- Inspect your water softener and replenish salt if necessary
- Examine sink and tub drains for clogs and unclog wherever necessary
- Use a vacuum to remove dust, dirt, and debris from heat registers and heat vents
- Clean your garbage disposal by grinding ice cubes, then following up with hot water and baking soda
- Test that all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, and fire extinguishers are in full working order
- Clean faucet aerators and shower heads of mineral deposits with vinegar or descalers
Fall Home Upkeep
Weather in the Bay Area may not get as cold as it does in other parts of the country, but it’s still a good idea to tackle a few home chores inside and out before winter comes:
- Check your fireplace for damage and have your flue cleared—have your fireplace professionally inspected
- Seal any cracks or gaps in your window frames with caulk or weather stripping
- Touch up siding and trim paint
- Clean your carpets or have your carpets cleaned by professional cleaners
- Vacuum lint from your dryer vent (which can also help prevent fires)
- Clean your window and door screens
You’ll also want to clean and store outdoor furniture and gardening equipment and clean and reverse your ceiling fans.
Winter is the perfect time to organize your home when the weather is less-than-ideal and you want to stay inside where it’s cozy. On top of sprucing up your space and clearing your home of clutter, you should also do the following:
- Cover your air conditioning unit or clean and store window units
- Inspect your basement for leaks
- Check your roof, gutters, and downspouts for damage
- Vacuum your bathroom exhaust fan
- Vacuum and clean your refrigerator and freezer coils and empty and clean drip trays
Spring cleaning is an important way to reset your home after a winter spent inside and breathe new life into your space. It can be a monumental task, but there are a few things you can do:
- Start spring cleaning with the rooms that feel the most manageable
- Clean out your closet, refrigerator, and garage
- Give your hardwood floors a good cleaning
- Clean windows inside and out on a cool, breezeless day using window cleaner and newspaper to avoid streaks
- Brighten up your home by cleaning the blinds and dusting light bulbs
Spring cleaning checklists can go on and on. You can always enlist professional house cleaning services to make the spring cleaning process simpler and easier.
Summer Home Maintenance
When the weather heats up, you can beat the heat with these indoor home maintenance tasks:
- Check your dishwasher for leaks
- Inspect around kitchen and bathroom cabinets and around toilets for leaks
- Seal tile grout
- Prune trees and shrubs and weeds and maintain your garden
Many other summer maintenance tasks will revolve around working in the yard; weeding, watering, and mowing. If you have a sprinkler system, you’ll want to have it professionally inspected. Don’t forget to keep up with replacing your HVAC air filters each month while your air conditioner is running non-stop.
Your Preferred Home Cleaning Services All Year Long
Throughout San Francisco and the surrounding areas, Super Clean 360 is the chosen team for house cleaning services all year-round. No matter the month or the season, we can customize our services to meet your needs and keep your home looking great. We’re committed to being a reliable team you can always count on.